Organic Spelt Loaf RecipeMakes 1 Medium Loaf
A tried and tested recipe using Maple Farm Kelsale flour.
- 235g White spelt
- 240g Wholemeal spelt
- 25g Rye
- 1½ teaspoons Dry fast acting yeast
- 1½ teaspoons Salt
- 340ml Tepid Water
- 1½ tablespoons Olive oil
Spelt has a great nutty flavour and although it is not gluten free many people find it easier to digest than standard wheat. We have used a touch of Rye in the recipe for added flavour but a 50/50 split of white and wholemeal spelt works equally as well. Olive oil is used instead of butter and no sugar is required!
Total flour content 500g makes a medium size loaf.
- Put the yeast into the breadmaker first.
- Mix the flour and salt together then pour over the yeast.
- Add the water then the olive oil.
Spelt flour proves (or rises) much faster than ordinary wheat and when we used the recommended breadmaking cycle for spelt flour, we found that the bread would collapse. Spelt flour also requires less kneading so we selected the shortest cycle which on the Panasonic happened to be the gluten free programme.
- Panasonic SD-2501 programme 12
- Panasonic SD-2500 programme 11
- or find the equivalent rapid-bake programme on your breadmaker
Total time 1hr 50 mins.
Get In Touch
Maple Farm Kelsale, Saxmundham, Suffolk IP17 2PJ